When Lent rolls around, it seems every Pittsburgh eatery has a Friday fish sandwich. Even if you’re not Catholic, if you’re a Pittsburgher, you’re probably going to eat a fish sandwich (or maybe too many) before April 1.
Tired of the usual breaded cod? Here are a few offbeat choices:
• Start with a free sandwich — Primanti’s has them, if you also eat there earlier in the week.
• Forget the sandwich, try something pescetarian yet bunless at The Original Oyster House.
• Go upscale at Poros in Market Square (the fish tempura sandwich).
• Or try a classic in The Strip District, Wholey’s.
– Paul Furiga, WordWrite Communications